Michael Mahoney's Skillet Chicken
4 ea Chicken Thighs, skin on, boneless
1 ea Lemon, cut in half
1 each Fennel head, ¼ inch strips
1 cup Orzo
2 TBLS Butter
½ ea Yellow Onion, small dice
3 ea Garlic cloves, minced
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
2 TBLS Thyme, chopped, divided in two
2 TBLS Rosemary, chopped, divided in two
6 TBLS Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped, divided in two
2 TBLS Tarragon, Chopped
2 TBLS Vegetable Oil
4 TBLS Olive oil
To Taste Salt & Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Pre-heat 10” cast iron or oven safe skillet.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken skin-side down in very hot skillet. Cook until skin is golden and crispy. Add lemons cut-side down. Flip the chicken and place it in the oven. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss fennel with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place on a foil lined sheet tray and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
- While the chicken is cooking, bring a pot of water to boil. Salt the boiling water and add in the orzo. Cook for approximately 7-8 minutes, or until al dente.
- While the orzo and chicken are cooking, heat butter and 1 TBLS olive oil in a sauté pan. Add onions and garlic. Sautee until the color on the onions and garlic start to brown.
- Add 1 TBLS each of chopped thyme and rosemary. Add tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are heated through and slightly begin to soften.
- When the orzo is done cooking, strain (reserve about ½ cup of cooking liquid) and add the orzo to the pan. Toss to mix, and adjust sauce with reserved cooking liquid. Season to taste, and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Once the chicken is ready, remove from the oven and rest in pan for approximately 5-10 minutes so the chicken can finish cooking to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix remaining thyme, rosemary, parsley, tarragon into a small mixing bowl. Add in olive oil, lemon juice from charred lemons and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon about ½ cup of orzo onto a plate. Top with chicken thigh (skin up), add fennel onto the chicken. Drizzle about 1.5 TBLS salsa verde onto the chicken and around the plate.