"I called it Progressive American cuisine because every time I stepped into the kitchen, I felt things moving forward."
Since the beginning of his celebrated career, master Chef and hospitality entrepreneur Charlie Palmer has received critical acclaim for his signature Progressive American Cuisine: bold, dynamic flavors and unexpected combinations built on the foundation of classical French technique.
Influenced by his childhood experiences tending his family's vegetable garden, Palmer was an early advocate of farm over factory food and the authentic American cuisine it inspired. In 1988, he showcased this approach, creating dishes featuring regional American ingredients, at his sublime three-star restaurant Aureole, once situated in a historic town house off Manhattan's Madison Avenue. Today Palmer's flagship Aureole is strategically located within New York City’s dramatic and modern Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park.
Over the years, Palmer’s culinary expertise and business acumen has supported fourteen notable restaurants and award-winning boutique hotels across the country. Following so much strategic growth, Chef Palmer still steps in the kitchen with reinvention front of mind: "without a doubt, people eat with their eye long before they put fork to food, so I continue to look for a playful yet respectful way to create excitement on the plate."
A frequent guest on NBC's Today Show, Charlie Palmer is also the author of six cookbooks, Remington Camp Cooking (2013), Great American Food (Random House/1996), Charlie Palmer's Casual Cooking (Harper Collins/2001), The Art of Aureole, (Ten Speed Press/2002), and Charlie Palmer's Practical Guide to the New American Kitchen (Melcher Media/2006), and his newest, Charlie Palmer’s American Fare (Hachette/2015).
Charlie Palmer Accolades
· 1997 James Beard Award – "Best Chef" New York
· 1997 Restaurant & Institutions IVY Award
· 1997 Relais & Chateaux, Relais Gourmand - Aureole New York
· 1997 Robert Mondavi "Culinary Award of Excellence" - Charlie Palmer
· 1998 James Beard Award – "Who's Who of Food & Beverage in America"
· 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 Michelin Guide 1 Star - Aureole New York
· 2009, 2008, 2007 Michelin Guide 1 Star - Aureole Las Vegas
· 2000-2016 Wine Spectator Grand Award - Aureole Las Vegas
· 2001-2016 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Aureole New York
· 2001-2016 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer Steak Las Vegas
· 2015-2016 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer Steak New York
· 2015-2016 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer Steak DC
· 2002-2016 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Dry Creek Kitchen
· 2014-2016 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer Steak Reno
· 2016 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer at the Knick
· 2016 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence – Harvest Table
· 2003 Food Arts "Silver Spoon Award" for outstanding service – Charlie Palmer
· 2010 AAC Culinary Hall of Fame "Celebrated Chef" - Charlie Palmer
· 2011 AGA Gaming Hall of Fame Inductee - Charlie Palmer