"I called it Progressive American cuisine because every time I stepped into the kitchen, I felt things moving forward."
Since the beginning of his celebrated career, master Chef and hospitality entrepreneur Charlie Palmer has received critical acclaim for his signature Progressive American Cuisine, a style built on rambunctious flavors and unexpected combinations with a deep and lasting infusion of classical French technique. Influenced by his childhood experiences working in his family's vegetable garden, Palmer was an early advocate of farm over factory food. In 1988, he made a landmark commitment to creating dishes featuring regional American ingredients at his sublime three-star Aureole, once situated in a historic town house off Manhattan's Madison Avenue. Today Palmer's flagship Aureole is strategically located within New York City mid-town's dramatically modern Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park.
Over the years, Palmer combined his creative cooking spirit and flair for business to open eleven notable restaurants across the country, a growing collection of food-forward wine shops and award-winning boutique hotels. But even today, the chef still steps in the kitchen with reinvention on his mind. "Without a doubt, people eat with their eye long before they put fork to food, so I continue to look for a playful yet respectful way to create excitement on the plate."
A frequent guest on NBC's Today Show, Charlie Palmer is also the author of five cookbooks, Remington Camp Cooking (2013), Great American Food (Random House/1996), Charlie Palmer's Casual Cooking (Harper Collins/2001), The Art of Aureole, (Ten Speed Press/2002), and Charlie Palmer's Practical Guide to the New American Kitchen (Melcher Media/2006).
Charlie Palmer Accolades
- 1997 James Beard Award – "Best Chef" New York
- 1997 Restaurant & Institutions IVY Award
- 1997 Relais & Chateaux, Relais Gourmand - Aureole, New York is inducted as a member of the prestigious association of quality hotels and restaurants
- 1997 Robert Mondavi "Culinary Award of Excellence" - Charlie Palmer
- 1998 James Beard Award – "Who's Who of Food & Beverage in America"
- 2001 Wine Spectator Best of Award - Aureole New York
- 2002, 2001 & 2000 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence – Charlie Palmer Steak Las Vegas
- 2003 Food Arts "Silver Spoon Award" for outstanding service – Charlie Palmer
- 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Aureole New York
- 2010, 2009, 2008 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer at The Joule
- 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer Steak Las Vegas
- 2010, 2009, 2008 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Charlie Palmer Steak DC
- 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence - Dry Creek Kitchen
- 2011 and every year since 2000 Wine Spectator Grand Award - Aureole Las Vegas
- 2009, 2008, 2007 Michelin Guide 1 Star - Aureole Las Vegas
- 2010 AAC Culinary Hall of Fame "Celebrated Chef" - Charlie Palmer
- 2011 AGA Gaming Hall of Fame Inductee - Charlie Palmer
- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 Michelin Guide 1 Star - Aureole New York