Charlie Palmer Steak New York
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
- Sugar to decorate
Combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Mix in crystallized ginger. Using an electric mixer, beat brown sugar, shortening and butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and molasses and beat until blended. Add flour mixture and mix just until blended. Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter 2 baking sheets. Spoon large crystals of sugar in thick layer onto small plate. Using wet hands, form dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll in sugar to coat completely. Place balls onto prepared sheets, spacing 2-inches apart. Bake cookies until cracked on top but still soft to touch, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets 1 minute. Carefully transfer to racks and cool. Can be made 5 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.