Excerpted from Remington Camp Cooking by Charlie Palmer
Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish
- 4 ounces slab bacon, diced
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 3 scallions, white and green parts separated and sliced
- One 1-pound bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced, seeds removed
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon, stirring, until golden brown and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate and set aside, leaving the bacon fat in the skillet.
Still over medium heat, add the shiitake mushrooms to the bacon fat in the skillet and sauté until lightly colored, about 5 minutes. Stir in the scallion whites and continue to cook until wilted but not colored, another 2 minutes. Add the corn, jalapeno, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix all ingredients together and cook until heated through.
Pour in the cream, decrease the heat, and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the cream has reduced and coats the corn like a good, thick sauce, 15 to 20 minutes. Scatter the bacon and sliced scallion greens over the top of the creamed corn and serve.