to taste salt
1 t cider vinegar
4 each large eggs
5 C milk or half and half
1 1/4 C uncooked quick cooking grits
1 C sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 C Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 t freshly ground pepper
1 T vegetable oil or canola oil
1 LB slab bacon, cut into 1/4" slices
3 T honey
1 t butter
1 T chives, chopped
1. To cook eggs, bring a pot of water to a full boil. (Water should be high enough to completely cover four eggs.) Add a pinch of salt and vinegar to the water. With a spoon, gently lower eggs into water. Set timer for four minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring milk or half-and-half to a simmer in a medium-size, deep skillet on medium-high heat. Gradually add grits, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Cook one to two minutes, whisking constantly.
3. When timer rings, remove eggs with slotted spoon. Stir cheeses into grits and season with salt and pepper.
4. In large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add bacon in single layer and brown lightly on one side, reducing heat if necessary. Turn bacon. Drizzle with honey. Cook until nicely caramelized but not supercrisp. Place bacon on cutting board and cut into 1/4-inch-wide crosswise strips. Stir butter into grits and taste; adjust seasoning as needed. Peel eggs.
5. Divide grits among four shallow bowls. Top each with a peeled egg. Scatter bacon strips on top. Garnish with chives and serve immediately.