Chicken or Turkey Burgers
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 serrano or other hot green chile (or to taste), stemmed, seeded, and minced
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground chile powder (not seasoned chili powder)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil to brush on patties
- 6 large brioche buns, split and toasted
- Guacamole (recipe follows)
Combine the chicken with the egg using your hands to blend. Add the chile, bell pepper, shallots, garlic, chile powder, and cumin. Again, using your hands, mix well to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat and oil the grill or preheat a nonstick stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat.
Form the mixture into 6 equal mounds (so they cook evenly) and shape each into a patty. Using a pastry brush, generously coat the outside of each with oil.
Place the burgers on the grill and grill for 6 minutes. Turn and grill for another 5 minutes for well done.
Place a burger on each bun, top with guacamole, and serve.
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 large avocados, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- Juice of 1 lime
- ? cup chopped seeded peeled tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded serrano chile, optional
Combine the avocado with the lime juice, tomato, onion, cilantro, and chile. Season with salt and serve.