The Charlie Palmer Group has an immediate opening for a Pastry Chef at the Charlie Palmer Steak in the Archer Hotel, Napa CA.
The Pastry Chef coordinates and supervises activities of workers engaged in preparing and cooking food. Ensures all raw ingredients are available and prepared for use in recipes. Advises workers in preparation, portioning and garnishing of foods to ensure that methods meet specifications. May prepare food or portion, and garnish cooked foods. Requisitions needed materials and ensures equipment is maintained and available for use. The Pastry Chef will have the chance for advancement within the property or the company if the opportunity presents itself.
- Able to be alert in any environment.
- Follow detailed procedures.
- Ensure accuracy in documentation and data.
- Carefully monitor gauges, instruments or processes.
- Concentrate on routine work details.
- Organize and maintain records.
- Able to clearly present information through verbal and written English
- Read and interpret complex information
- Interaction with guests
- Actively listen to others
- Stay objective and fair when dealing with sensitive situations.
- Maintain constructive working relationships despite disagreement.
Knowledge, Education, Skills and Abilities
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 1+ years’ culinary management experience in a fine dining establishment
- Culinary Institute education, formal apprenticeship, multiple stagier or equivalent
- Written and verbal comprehension of English Language
- Basic Math Skills
- Catering experience, a major plus
- Work independently without direct supervision
- Maintain polished professional appearance
- Strong sense of urgency
- Must be extremely creative and have a palate for combining flavors and textures with strong knowledge of Classic Cuisine
- Display confidence when directing a staff of experienced back of house employees
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude, inspire others to excel and develop and maintain team spirit
- Resourcefulness, good judgment, excellent social, communication and organizational skills
- The ability to manage multiple projects at one time and respond quickly to the fast-paced restaurant culture
Essential Job functions
- Supports Executive Chef in execution of daily operations, ensuring all production schedules, quality controls and facility
- Supervises production of all pastry, bread items in all kitchens
- Ensure good turnover of products by proper rotation.
- Anticipate the right balance between having too much product and not enough product when ordering.
- Ensure stations are clean and organized during preparation and service
- Required to work within all applicable Local, State and Federal laws and regulations.
- Counsel, guide, and instruct employees in the proper performance of their duties.
- Disseminate information to the staff.
- Ensures opening and closing duties are completed.
- Maximize resources while keeping waste to a minimum.
- Handle problems with employees with tact.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Manages Pastry Cooks, Cook I, Cook II, Utility
Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel)
Point of sale systems
The Pastry Chef Must be able to tolerate varying stress levels, temperature, illumination, and air quality. Must be able to maneuver through all areas of the kitchen. Requires mobility, prolonged standing, bending, stooping, and reaching. Must be able to tolerate hot temperatures in excess of 140 degrees and extreme cold temperatures as low as 10 degrees below zero. Must be able to carry and lift up to 100 lbs. Must be able to push and pull food carts weighing up to 500 lbs. Requires normal sense of smell, taste, touch, sight, and sound. Must be able to operate equipment. Must be able to respond to visual and aural cues. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
Required Work Cards
Food Safety Handlers Card
Managers Food Safety Handlers Card
The Charlie Palmer Group offers competitive compensation and benefits package.
About the Charlie Palmer Group
The Charlie Palmer Group grew out of Aureole, American cuisine pioneer Charlie Palmer's landmark restaurant, originally located in a historic townhouse on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Today, Palmer's flagship Aureole is strategically located at the Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park. Other coast-to-coast locations encompass an expanding collection of award-winning restaurants-many in equally significant historical locations-innovative wine shops, and luxurious boutique hotels, each designed with distinctive personalities to provide unique experiences.
These properties include: Aureole, Charlie Palmer Steak, Upper Story, Crimson & Rye, Charlie Palmer at The Knick (New York, NY); Aureole at Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Charlie Palmer Steak at Four Seasons Hotel (Las Vegas, NV); Charlie Palmer Steak (Washington, DC); Charlie Palmer Steak, (Reno, NV); Dry Creek Kitchen at Hotel Healdsburg & Hotel Healdsburg (Sonoma County, CA); Harvest Table and the Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer (Napa Valley, CA); and Burritt Room & Tavern and the Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer (San Francisco, CA).
If you feel you are a good match for this position, please send a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com.