Charlie Palmer Group has an immediate opening for a new Executive Sous Chef at Charlie Palmer Steak, at Archer Hotel, Napa, CA, The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for the preparation of high quality meals in accordance with company standards, menu specifications while meeting the required safety, hygiene and quality standards. Will be working closely with the Executive Chef and will provide support at the kitchen when the Executive Chef is away. Experiences with kitchen leader and proven ability to supervise the production of upscale food at high volume levels. Executive Sous Chef will oversee the production of banquets, as well as a la carte dining for Charlie Palmer Steak, and our roof top restaurant. Executive Sous Chef will have the chance for advancement within the property or the company if the opportunity presents itself.
Coordinates and supervises activities of workers engaged in preparing and cooking food. Ensures all raw ingredients are available and prepared for use in recipes. Advises workers in preparation, portioning and garnishing of foods to ensure that methods meet specifications. May prepare food or portion, and garnish cooked foods. Requisitions needed materials and ensures equipment is maintained and available for use.
- Able to be alert in any environment.
- Executes and supervises food production activities, e.g., proper cleaning, cutting, marinating, seasoning, cooking of food items etc.
- Coordinates and controls kitchen helpers in food storage (e.g. maintaining tidiness following the first in – first out principle)
- Oversee day-to- day production and operations in the kitchens which includes planning and directing of all food preparation
- Monitors material consumption and orders required food and equipment on a daily basis to satisfy the daily production plan
- Conducts, coordinates and supervises inventories
- Ensure accuracy in documentation and data.
- Participates in the development of food products and menus as needed for menu presentations
- Must be aware of content in catering manuals; conducts updates when necessary
- Executes countermeasures in the production in case of customer complaints
- Carefully monitor gauges, instruments or processes.
- Concentrate on routine work details.
- Organize and maintain records.
- Able to clearly present information through verbal and written English,
- Read and interpret complex information
- Stay objective and fair when dealing with sensitive situations.
- Maintain constructive working relationships despite disagreement
Knowledge, Education, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years’ culinary management experience in a fine dining establishment
- Minimum 3 years’ management experience in food and beverage
- Written and verbal comprehension of English Language
- Catering experience, a major plus
- Work independently without direct supervision
- Maintain polished professional appearance
- Strong sense of urgency
- Must be extremely creative and have a palate for combining flavors and textures with strong knowledge
- of Classic Cuisine
- Display confidence when directing a staff of experienced back of house employees
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude, inspire others to excel and develop and maintain team spirit
- Resourcefulness, good judgment, excellent social, communication and organizational skills
- The ability to manage multiple projects at one time and respond quickly to the fast-paced restaurant
Essential Job Functions
- Supports Executive Chef in execution of daily operations, ensuring all production schedules, quality controls and Facility
- High volume, fine dining restaurant experience
- Must be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills
- Professional appearance demeanor and conduct
- Ability to maintain high levels of food cost and hygiene
- Knowledge of food and beverage hygiene regulations (HACCP is required)
- Ability to lead and mentor a team
- Anticipate the right balance between having too much product and not enough product when ordering.
- Ensure stations are clean and organized during preparation and service
- Required to work within all applicable Local, State and Federal laws and regulations
- Financial understanding in food costs and minimizing wastage I the kitchen required
- Counsel, guide, and instruct employees in the proper performance of their duties.
- Disseminate information to the staff.
- Ensures opening and closing duties are completed.
- Handle problems with employees with tact.
- Ensure that the area of responsibility is properly organized, staffed and directed.
- Create daily schedule to ensure proper staffing requirements are met
- Guide, motivate and develop subordinate employees within the Human Resource Policy
- Teach and train of production and presentation changes to menu items
- Make the company’s value and management principle live in the department (s)
- Implement and control cost budget in the area of responsibility; initiate and steer corrective actions in case of deviations
- Discipline and document underperforming staff members
- Act as Executive Chef in the absence of the Executive Chef
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel)
Point of sale systems
The Executive Sous Chef Must be able to tolerate varying stress levels, temperature, illumination, and air
quality. Must be able to maneuver through all areas of the kitchen. Requires mobility, prolonged standing,
bending, stooping, and reaching. Must be able to tolerate hot temperatures in excess of 140 degrees and extreme cold temperatures as low as 10 degrees below zero. Must be able to carry and lift up to 100 lbs. Must be able to push and pull food carts weighing up to 500 lbs. Requires normal sense of smell, taste, touch, sight, and sound.
Must be able to operate equipment. Must be able to respond to visual and aural cues. Requires hand-eye
coordination and manual dexterity.
Required Work Cards
Food Safety Handlers Card
Managers Food Safety Handlers Card
The Charlie Palmer Group offers competitive compensation and benefits package.
About the Charlie Palmer Group
Charlie Palmer Group grew out of Aureole, American cuisine pioneer Charlie Palmer's landmark restaurant, originally located in a historic townhouse on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Today, Palmer's flagship Aureole is strategically located at the Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park. Other coast-to-coast locations encompass an expanding collection of award-winning restaurants-many in equally significant historical locations-innovative wine shops, and luxurious boutique hotels, each designed with distinctive personalities to provide unique experiences.
These properties include: Aureole, Charlie Palmer Steak, Upper Story, Crimson & Rye, Charlie Palmer at The Knick (New York, NY); Aureole at Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Charlie Palmer Steak at Four Seasons Hotel (Las Vegas, NV); Charlie Palmer Steak (Washington, DC); Charlie Palmer Steak (Reno, NV); Dry Creek Kitchen at Hotel Healdsburg and Hotel Healdsburg (Sonoma County, CA); Harvest Table and the Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer (Napa Valley, CA); and Burritt Room & Tavern and the Mystic Hotel by Charlie Palmer (San Francisco, CA).
If you feel you are a good match for this position, please send a cover letter introducing yourself and a resume to email@example.com.