Chef Charlie Palmer Celebrates 25 Years of Progressive American Cooking at Aureole
Click to Tweet
September 12, 2013 – On November 18, 1988, an ambitious, creative, and brave 29-year old Charlie Palmer opened Aureole on East 61st Street in Manhattan to critical acclaim, drawing visitors, foodies, chefs, and journalists to its Upper East Side location for over two decades, before moving to its current location at One Bryant Park. Today Aureole continues to garner acclaim and success, bears a Michelin star, and amongst a litany of restaurants, is where Chef Charlie Palmer still feels most at home.
Sparking Palmer’s storied career as well as eleven restaurants and two hotels, Aureole remains the flagship location and training ground for the Charlie Palmer Group chefs. The current Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware, who launched his NYC culinary career as a sous chef at the original location, has helmed the stoves at One Bryant Park for the past three years, partnered by Parisian-born pastry chef, Pierre Poulin. Alongside Palmer and General Manager Charles Pouchot, this 21st century Aureole team pushes boundaries by composing unique and creative dishes and sets the benchmark for contemporary sophisticated service.
“Reaching our 25-year milestone gives great perspective: I can see where we’re going, and also where we came from,” says Chef Palmer. “When I think about everything we’ve done—the many dishes we created and many guests we served, and all of the doors that Aureole opened for so many people—I can’t help but feel an overwhelming sense of pride, nostalgia and thanksgiving.” Echoing those sentiments, Aureole’s 25th celebration pays homage to its own family tree, from the aspiring line cooks and earnest culinary students who knocked on the back kitchen door to ask for jobs and left through the front door to succeed in their own restaurants, as well as the budding winemakers and the sommeliers who helped create Aureole’s legendary wine programs, to the many hardworking waiters and floor staff who helped set an industry standard for fine service. This fall Aureole is hosting a series of comprehensive events, celebrations, and special menus to commemorate these contributions and celebrate the many people who helped shape its success with their impeccable food, wine, creative spirit.
25th Anniversary Events:
Aureole Menu Reflections | Past, Present, Future | September 30th – November 24th
- Eight weeks of menu specials created by some of the most talented chefs to have worked at Aureole, reminiscent of their time spent in Aureole’s kitchens
- Chef Michael Mina (’89-’90) | Week of September 30th: Day Boat Sea Scallop Sandwich with Shallot Cakes, Leeks, and American Caviar
- Chef Dante Bocuzzi (’91-‘93; ’02-’07) | Week of October 7th: Six Spice Rubbed Squab with Dried Cherries, Jerusalem Artichokes, Toasted Almonds, and Wilted Arugula
- Chef Bryan Voltaggio (’97; ’99-’03) | Week of October 14th: Partridge with Braised Endive, Quince, and Sorrel Pudding
- Chef Gerry Hayden (’88-‘90; ’99-’02) | Week of October 21st: Pancetta Wrapped Monkfish Loin with Basil Basted Maine Mussels, Fennel-Potato Purée, and Shaved Fennel Salad
- Chef Tony Aiazzi (’98-‘09) | Week of October 28th: Caramelized Scallops with Chestnut Grits, Autumn Squash, and Field Mushrooms
- Chef Marcus Ware (’07-present) | Week of November 4th: Ruby Red Shrimp with Napa Cabbage, Asian Pear, and Coconut Lemongrass Broth
- Chef Pierre Poulin (’11-present) | Week of November 11th: Dark Chocolate Halo with Hazelnut Crunch, Manjari Ganache, and Peppermint Ice Cream
- Chef Charlie Palmer | Week of November 18th: Duo of Black Angus Beef – 46-Hour Short Rib, Dry Aged NY Strip, Caramelized Parsnip, and Cabernet Reduction
Sunday, September 22nd | Aureole’s Second Annual Oyster Social
- A shellfish shindig to benefit Citymeals-on-Wheels
- Read more
Thursday, September 26th | Trotanoy Retrospective
- An incredibly rare retrospective of Pomerol, impeccably paired with a menu by Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware
- Read more
Tuesday, October 15th | Birds + Burgundy
- Game birds and premier cru burgundies bring together the sought-after flavors of Autumn in a feast for the gourmand
- Read more
Friday, November 15th | An Evening of Black + White Truffles
- Chefs Palmer and Ware have created a menu highlighting these much-lauded diamonds of the dirt alongside optional wine pairings curated by wine director Justin Lorenz
- Read more
Monday, November 18th | Celebrating 25 Years of Progressive American Cooking
- On the official anniversary date, Chef Palmer hosts an invite only celebration of Progressive American Cooking to benefit the Culinary Institute of America. Chef Palmer encourages donations be made to his alma mater, the CIA, in honor of Aureole’s 25th Anniversary and aspiring chefs and culinarians everywhere.
Aureole is the flagship showcase for Charlie Palmer's unabashed, energetic signature Progressive American cuisine. Now under the culinary leadership of Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware, the Michelin-starred kitchen turns out elegant, simple dishes with sharply focused flavors like Wagyu Beef Carpaccio with crispy shiitake, scallions, taro root, ponzu and lavash cracker. Aureole is located within the spectacular Bank of America Tower at One Bryant Park, the most environmentally advanced skyscraper in the world. Offering a range of dining options, the Bar Room is smart and casual with walnut-topped tables and a back-lit, etched glass front bar with polished natural zinc top surface, the intimate Dining Room is designed in both lighting and texture to give off a golden glow, and The Halo Private Dining Room is wrapped with fabric panel and silver leaf walls, dotted with sculptural back-lit flame sconces. Now in its 25th year, Aureole is contemporary urban elegance.
About Charlie Palmer
Master Chef, hotelier and hospitality entrepreneur, Charlie Palmer, has received critical acclaim for his signature Progressive American cooking, a style built on rambunctious flavors and unexpected combinations. In 1988, he made a significant commitment to creating dishes featuring regional American ingredients at his sublime Aureole, originally situated in a historic Manhattan townhouse and now located in a spectacular new location at One Bryant Park. Throughout the past 25 years, Palmer combined his creative cooking spirit and flair for business to open thirteen notable restaurants across the country, a collection of food-forward wine shops and award-winning boutique hotels.
Christa Weaving | Charlie Palmer Group | 212.755.7050 x21 | email@example.com
View our 25th Anniversary Commemorative Illustration by downloading the .pdf file below.